In the Summer of 2015, Staples announced a multi-year partnership, building on their strong previous support of teachers, students and education. Staples made a $10 million pledge to support Think It Up™, a program launched by The Entertainment Industry Foundation. This is a new movement created to inspire students to pursue their passions through student-powered, teacher-led learning projects with support from Staples for Students.
#StaplesForStudents was the hashtag selected to support our PR efforts and the cause marketing arm of our back-to-school campaigns.
Program Objectives: Drive awareness of the Staples For Students program through social impressions, engagements, click-throughs and video views
Sweepstakes Objectives: Generate registrations / entries / social engagements; Drive traffic in-store, to Staples.com, and to social platforms; Create product awareness; Fan acquisition; Data Capture
- Focus on Parents of kids 8-17 as our primary audience and Teachers/Students as our secondary audience.
- Support our primary audience with a Sweepstakes to generate social engagement.
- Drive engagement through social posts specific to the different platforms.
- Work cross-functionally to support PR relating to sales events and consumer-driven events.
- Hashtag Mentions ~36K + Potential Impressions ~8M
- Sweepstakes Registrations ~145k (5x more than 2014)
- ~367,812 Challenge Completions = almost 3x more than 2014
- ~7,978,855 Entries (101% increase from 2014)
- Trending Topic: #StaplesForStudents / #110Ready Twitter Party
- ~600+ Viewers: Live Periscope at Think It Up Telecast on 9/11
- PSA Video View Rate: Facebook’s ~58% (25x Benchmark) and Twitter ~14% (12x Benchmark).
- Promoted Tweets supporting the Telecast generated more than ~4.3M Impressions and ~141.3K Engagements - surpassing Q2 and Q3 benchmarks
Planned Social Sweepstakes, Media Plan, Campaign Optimization, Twitter Party Execution, Live Periscope Broadcast, Campaign Reporting
Staples Creative Team: Kristine Houston (PR), Jad Jichi, Brian Wilkins, Scott Hamilton
Sweepstakes Vendor: Don Jagoda Associates
The #StaplesForStudents Sweepstakes was a major piece of the overall campaign. It connected us to our fans during a key season, generated awareness for the Staples For Students program, and integrated efforts for site/store traffic. I worked very closely with internal partners (PR, Seasonal Marketing, Agency) and external partners (DJA) to plan and execute this experience.